Many people have encountered such a thing as insomnia. After a long day of work, a person wants to relax, sleep, tossing and turning, and the long-awaited dream does not come. To know how to deal with this phenomenon, you need to find out its cause.
Insomnia, or in other words insomnia, is a malfunction of the biological clock. As a result, a person suffering from it, decreases working capacity, worsens health, there is a constant feeling of drowsiness. All this can lead to the development of diseases of the nervous system.
There are a lot of factors that can lead to insomnia. But among them there are several reasons leading to the fact that a person cannot fall asleep.
The main reasons:
- Stress – a constant presence in stressful conditions contributes to the fact that the body is in an excited state, thoughts are busy finding solutions to problems. The brain works intensively instead of resting.
- Increased brain activity – occurs mainly in workaholics. Such people work beyond the norm, even after hours. But before going to bed, it’s important to give the brain a rest.
- Experiences – sensitive people take different situations too close to their hearts, as a result of which their experiences do not let them fall asleep.
- Medications – Among the causes of insomnia, there are medications. Some painkillers, heart medications, and antidepressants can cause your sleep to become restless and intermittent.
- Habits – a love of strong black tea or coffee can cause poor sleep.
- Violation of the daily routine – a hectic lifestyle, when a person goes to bed at different times, can cause a person to have difficulty falling asleep.
- Restless legs syndrome – starting from middle age, many experience discomfort in the legs. The man spins, looking for a comfortable position. Such sensations can be caused by some diseases.
- Improper sleep hygiene – heat, cold, an uncomfortable mattress or pillow can cause disturbances in normal sleep.
If it was possible to determine the cause of insomnia, it will be much easier to get rid of it and have a healthy sleep.
Getting rid of insomnia
When this ailment appears, it is not necessary to immediately run to the pharmacy for pills. You can take some measures yourself.
What to do :
- Make sure the pillow and mattress are comfortable. It is best to pay attention to orthopedic models.
- Exclude fatty foods, strong tea, and coffee from the evening diet. These products can be consumed no later than 4 hours before bedtime ;.
- Ventilate the room before going to bed.
- Try to go to bed at the same time.
- Provide sufficient physical activity throughout the day.
- Do not work before bedtime, exclude mental activity at least 2 hours before bedtime.
- Make sure that the room is not too hot or cold.
- The bedroom should be dark enough. Use blackout curtains or a sleep mask.
- Drink lemon balm tea or hop cones before bedtime .
Following these simple rules can help you overcome insomnia yourself. But if the cause is medication, illness or a nervous breakdown, then it is best to seek the help of a doctor.