Ah, insomnia … An uninvited guest who always stays the night without an invitation. And you won’t fall asleep with such guests: you lie in the dark, look at your own thoughts with your eyes wide closed, chew once again the events of the day and look at the luminous gloom outside the window with anguish. The alarm clock is like an amnesty. You can finally get out of bed and trudge to work, carrying on your face all the signs of a sleepless night: gray skin, dark circles under red eyes and despondent corners of unsmiling lips.
If a insomnia visits you infrequently, it can somehow be tolerated and deal with it with its own forces and home remedies. But when she comes constantly, turning your whole life into a solid lack of sleep, you need to go to the doctor. If there is a possibility – to the somnologist who deals with sleep problems. By the way, doctors call insomnia undeservedly beautiful word “insomnia.”
Types of insomnia and its causes
Insomnia can manifest itself in many ways. Someone she does not sleep. A person lies in his bed, even being physically tired, but sleep does not come.
Others suffer from sleeping all the time. Sometimes there are reasons for this – a loud sound, a cat jumping onto the bed, the snoring of a spouse sleeping next door. Sometimes there are no obvious reasons, but the unfortunate still wakes up every hour, and even more often.
Still others suffer from waking up too early. There are still two hours before the alarm, and sleep has not been in one eye. And it makes no sense to lie, and get up early. But with the onset of morning, an unbearable desire to end the lost hours returns from where.
All types of insomnia can get to the most unlucky at once: they fall asleep hard, wake up often, and cannot fall asleep again.
It is clear that the body is rapidly tired of lack of sleep and weakens. Insomnia can lead to depression, neurosis, exacerbation diseases hearts and pressure surges. Immunity is also declining, not to mention performance, endurance, the ability to memorize and think fruitfully.
What can cause insomnia?
- Inconvenient bed: too heavy blanket, too thin / hard / soft / crushed mattress, too soft / hard / high / thin pillow, creaky springs, wrong arrangement.
- Dullness and dry air in the bedroom.
- Bright light and loud sounds.
- An overly plentiful dinner, including dishes that are hard for the stomach to handle.
- Hunger. For example, when a woman decides to follow a strict diet and “do not eat after 18”.
- Stress at work or at home, inability or unwillingness to leave them outside the bedroom.
- Overwork, physical or nervous.
- Abuse of caffeine-containing beverages.
- Taking certain medications that act on the nervous system is exciting.
- Difficulty breathing associated with an attack allergies or asthma coughing bronchitis, tuberculosis etc.
- Diseases that cause pain in the joints, muscles, abdomen, or other parts of the body. It may be gout, and gastritis, and angina and many others.
- Diseases associated with the appearance of skin rash and itching: eczema, allergies, dermatitis, measles, chickenpox, herpes.
- Diseases causing frequent urination or bowel movements: cystitis, intestinal flu, salmonellosis, etc.
How to get rid of insomnia
First of all, you need to stop worrying, including the fact that “today I will not be able to sleep again.” All that makes you nervous gives insomnia extra points. If you can not cope with your own nervous system on your own – refer to the help of light sedatives on a plant-based.
- Depart from bed on time: no later than 23 hours.
- Arrange yourself a comfortable bed: buy a new bed with an orthopedic mattress and a comfortable pillow. In winter, it is most comfortable to sleep on fleece or biker bedding, in summer you can treat yourself to the pleasant coolness of silk or smooth satin.
- Take care of the correct temperature in the bedroom. It should not exceed 20 ° C. Humidity is also very important. If there is no humidifier, hang out some damp terry towels in the bedroom. The air should be fresh – sleep better in a ventilated room.
- Do not overeat at night. Dinner should be light, from dairy or vegetable products. It is advisable to avoid not only coffee and cocoa, but too strong tea for dinner.
- Before bed, it is advisable to slowly walk through the fresh air. Active physical activity is undesirable – it excites the nervous system and prevents then fall asleep normally.
- It is useful to take a warm bath for 20 minutes, with herbs or essential oils. A cold or too hot shower is best avoided.
- Do not look at night thrillers, dramas and news. Better read something boring.