Frequent stress and the accelerating pace of life lead to the fact that each of us periodically worries about how to improve sleep. If problems with night rest have just begun to bother you, you can try to establish sleep on your own using the following recommendations:
- Healthy sleep is impossible without basic comfortable conditions. First of all, make sure that the bedroom is as quiet and dark as possible. To do this, unplug all electrical appliances, including your computer, before bed, and remove noisy objects such as a ticking clock from your bedroom. Also, the quality of sleep is greatly affected by an unsuitable bed and mattress. Of course, the best, but also the most expensive option is a large bed and an orthopedic mattress. If such a purchase is not possible, then the resting place can be temporarily improved with a new inexpensive mattress. The right pillow and quality linen also help promote healthy sleep.
- Strict adherence to sleep patterns. In most cases, this is the most effective way to restore sleep. To do this, you need to get up and go to bed at the same time every day, including holidays and weekends. It is also worth avoiding daytime rest if possible.
Paradoxically, sometimes, to improve the quality of sleep, it is necessary to shorten its duration a little. Try to sleep 30 minutes less than usual – this may be enough to restore sound sleep.
- Don’t force yourself to sleep. If you have not been able to fall asleep in more than 20 minutes, it is better to get up and do some small monotonous business until you feel sleepy. This is much better than tossing and turning restlessly, worrying that you will fall asleep late and sleep in the morning. Such fear of insomnia often appears on the eve of important events and important events.
- Drinks containing caffeine are so firmly established in our lives that we don’t even need to think about how to deal with sleepiness. A cup of aromatic coffee in the morning, green tea during the day, a glass of cola for a company with a colleague – and a sleepless night is guaranteed. The fact is that caffeine is excreted from the body for a long time, so you should not consume these drinks later than 8 hours before going to bed.
- Each of us remembers how easily fell asleep after a particularly exhausting day. The obvious conclusion suggests itself – in order to sleep soundly, you need to move enough. However, it will be extremely difficult to fall asleep immediately after intense exercise in the gym. Therefore, finish your workout no later than an hour and a half before going to bed.
- A hearty dinner, especially one that includes fatty and spicy foods, is not conducive to healthy relaxation. However, people who lose weight and follow a diet also fall prey to insomnia. Stop tormenting yourself – a glass of kefir or yogurt will not harm the figure, but it will drive away the feeling of hunger. But foods that contribute to flatulence like milk, nuts, raw vegetables and sour fruits are best avoided at night.
Lack of certain vitamins and minerals can also negatively affect the regulation of sleep and wakefulness. Their deficiency in the cold season can be easily replenished with multivitamin complexes.
- Do not overuse herbal sedatives and do not take sleeping pills without a doctor’s prescription – you can harm yourself by disrupting your sleep patterns.
- Smoking in the evening is extremely bad for your sleep. But the effect of alcohol is not so unambiguous – if a small glass of wine can contribute to deep sleep, then large doses of alcohol will make it superficial and restless.
- Use the bed only for sleeping. Break the habit of checking your work email or social media pages before bed. And even more so, do not discuss current problems or a difficult day in bed. Set aside another time for this, and before resting at night, try not to think about unfinished business.
- Form healthy habits and small pleasurable rituals that will prepare your body for relaxation. This can be reading, listening to soothing music, watching a light movie, or taking a relaxing bath.
If the listed tips do not help to establish sleep on your own, then you should immediately seek professional help from a somnologist.